A new “Content Creation and Production Trends” report from the International Trade Association for Broadcast & Media Technology (IABM) has highlighted a greater reliance on cloud solutions and a trend to further decentralize workflows.
The report from the IABM’s Business Intelligence Unit assesses the drivers for content creation and production, as well as assessing key trends like the move toward Direct to Consumer (DTC) business models and its impact on tech demands.
Highlights of the report include data on:
- How the global chip shortage has disrupted the supply chain and has driven price increases for key hardware components, with many suppliers increasing prices to share the financial pressure with customers.
- How major revenue drivers like sports events and studio productions made a comeback in 2021, boosting investment in original content and remote production.
- How demand for content production equipment – being more reliant on software and cloud-based solutions – has recovered quickly, but not in every product category.
- How content creation and production has been affected by the transition to Direct to Consumer (DTC) business models, changing tech demand in all sectors, particularly in live sports.
- How collaboration remains a key investment driver for media companies.
- How the emergence of the “creator economy” is providing new business opportunities for media companies and leading to technology democratization.
- How media companies are investing in augmented reality, virtual studios, real-time motion graphics, and other features to boost interactivity.
“Despite the global supply chain shortage causing a bottleneck for technology vendors’ production and revenues, increasing investment in high-quality originals, image expression and interactivity are keeping the overall outlook positive,” said Lorenzo Zanni, head of knowledge at IABM.
“Media businesses’ move to the cloud and IP-based workflows has facilitated companies to do more remote production, supporting their aims to permanently consolidate crews, decentralize productions and control costs with integrated production systems. Cloud-based and AI-enriched solutions play a key role in bringing media companies and a massive pool of creative freelancers together.”
The full report is available to IABM members here.